Add to Calendar
April 21, 2023 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Southwest Chicken Salad
Objectives and Goals
Consumers will use air fryer to cook chicken and will learn that it is not always necessary to use a stove to cook a meal.
Consumers have used air fryer in cooking class before. They will use the skills they used before to cook chicken. They will also practice chopping skills by cutting up vegetables for salad.
FOR THE CHICKEN & MARINADE
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, approximately 6 ounces each
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 2 limes , juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, or more for thinner consistency
- 1/4 cup cilantro, basil or parsley leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of olive oil, with the lime juice, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. You can also pulse in a food processor until it’s combined.
- Combine the marinade and chicken fillets in a shallow dish or plastic bag. Marinate the chicken for 2-6 hours in the fridge.
- When the chicken is done marinating, make the avocado dressing. Place all the dressing ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then sear the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, until they’re golden brown and have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees fahrenheit.
- Let the cooked chicken rest for a couple of minutes. Then slice into strips.
- In a large salad bowl, layer the chopped lettuce with beans, corn, tomatoes and chicken strips. Then drizzle the avocado dressing on top.
CALORIES: 518kcal, CARBOHYDRATES: 32g, PROTEIN: 31g, FAT: 32g, SATURATED FAT: 5g, CHOLESTEROL: 72mg, SODIUM: 441mg, POTASSIUM: 1063mg, FIBER: 9g, SUGAR: 5g, VITAMIN A: 4539iu, VITAMIN C: 33mg, CALCIUM: 71mg, IRON: 3mg
Leave a Reply