Cooking & Food Science Lesson Plan
Who doesn’t love food? It’s fun to make, it’s fun to eat, it’s fun to study. That’s right! There is a lot of science that goes into the everyday foods that you love. Explore questions such as how baking ingredients work, how and why certain ingredients mix well together, and why people’s tastes differ. Teaching consumers how to cook is one of the best things you can do to prepare them for independent living.
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions sliced (for garnish)
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- Tortilla chips
- 8 9-ounce clear party cups
- In a bowl, mix together refried beans with taco seasoning until well blended. Transfer the refried beans to a piping bag. Snip about 1 inch from the end of the piping bag and squeeze into the bottom of the clear party cups. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Next, place the guacamole into a piping bag. Snip the end and squeeze over the refried beans in each party cup. Tap the cups gently to settle the guacamole into an even layer.
- Place the sour cream into a piping bag. Snip the end and squeeze over the guacamole in each party cup. Smooth with a clean offset spatula.
- Then, place the salsa into a piping bag. Snip the end and squeeze over the sour cream in each party cup. Tap the cups gently to settle the salsa into an even layer.
- Top with cheddar cheese and garnish unless adding additional layers.
- To make seven-layer cups, add a layer of diced tomato and sliced black olives before garnishing.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Everyone To Clean Up:
- Cleaning up stations. Wipe down all surfaces used tables, countertops, stove, microwave, refrigerator.
- Clean off all floors (sweep and mop) and vacuum surrounding areas.
- Unload (if there are any in the dishwasher) load dishwasher and wash containers and pots (hand washing dishes).
- Trash- take to the dumpster.
- Laundry (if there are some kitchen towels in the basket) and ect…
Thank you for coming and participating in the cooking class, with much love Ms. Ruth ❤️
Have a wonderful day! 😊